Please follow steps below when installing SavvyLevel externally using SavvyLevel External Mount Box (referred to as EMB below) rated IP86 when correctly installed.
Important Wiring Considerations
- For a weatherproof seal (IP68 rated) make sure to use power cable between 3 – 6.5 mm diameter. The cable gland used can only clamp cables within this range. DO NOT use unsheathed or single strand cable, as the cable gland cannot seal against this.
- SavvyLevel must be connected to a separately fused power supply.
- If you wish to tap into the tow vehicles power source, remember that while the power hitching plug is disconnected from the tow vehicle, SavvyLevel will not be operational.
- When connecting your power lead to a suitable 12v DC voltage source (known as the ‘connection point), keep in mind that this ‘connection point’ must be weather protected (this includes the copper wire, insulation and its outer insulated sheath). Failure to adequately protect this ‘connection point’ will, over time, cause water to ingress through the inside of the power cable and will damage your SavvyLevel.
Concept of Operation (IP68)
Step 1 - Finding a Good Location
SavvyLevel requires good reliable signal communication between it and your Smartphone. Keep in mind that you will most probably operate your Smartphone inside your tow vehicle. Best performance can be achieved if you mount the device where there are minimal metallic obstructions. For caravans, generally somewhere on the ‘A’ frame is a good location.
Mounting under your caravan is not advised. Its low proximity to the ground means that much of the transmitted signal will be absorbed by the ground.
SavvyLevel MUST be mounted level horizontally (less than 15o) with cable gland facing the Caravan. It also must be straight and forward (not angled with the 'A' frame) – see Figure below for an example:
Step 2 - Mounting Base Plate
EMB Lid and Baseplate are treated separately. EMB Baseplate is first mounted to the ‘A’ frame, using 4 x M4 screws or rivets.
Make sure Baseplate is mounted parallel to the caravan and NOT the ‘A’ frame. It must also be mounted level horizontally. Figure below shows correct mounting.
Step 3 - Assembling EMB Lid
Mount the Cable Gland to EMB Lid, making sure that the rubber washer is on the outside (check figures below). Properly tighten only the internal nylon lock nut, with the following considerations:
- Do not rotate the body of the cable gland when tightening, use the internal lock nut only.
- Do not overtighten the internal lock nut as the sealing washer will ‘pop’ out.
Separate the SavvyLevel lid from the SavvyLevel unit (the SavvyLevel lid can be discarded). Check figure below:
cut the red connectors from the black and red wire and remove the rubber grommet (leave enough length of wire for connection to the supply cable, approx. 4 cm). Place the protection Cradle (that protects the SavvyLevel circuitry). Add a small dollop of Silicone to each side of the Cradle to fix it in place.
Feed the supply cable through the Cable Gland in the Lid. Connect the positive (red) and negative (black) wires into the power supply cable from the caravan.
Carefully place the SavvyLevel into the Lid, drawing the power cable back. Make sure that you do not mount the SavvyLevel backwards. SavvyLevel power wires must face towards the Cable Gland.
When there is approximately between 2 – 3 cm of caravan power cable (outer insulated sheath) still in the lid, tighten the Cable Gland to create a waterproof seal.
Step 3 - Weather Sealing the Lid
With the SavvyLevel placed in the Lid there will be a small gap around the edge. Now use a silicone gun to insert silicone (must be neutral cure) around the inside edges of the mount. Push the SavvyLevel to make sure it is properly in place. USE PLENTY OF SILICONE (MORE IS BETTER THAN LESS).
The base is designed to ensure the silicon is forced into the correct places to guarantee a complete fully sealed fit. The silicon will also bond the Lid to the Base.
Once the silicone is applied place the Lid onto the base plate for complete seal. The lid will ‘grab’ the baseplate and any excess air will be injected through the baseplate central hole and excess silicone will be forced internally into the baseplate cavity.
Once these steps have been successfully completed and the silicone has set, SavvyLevel External Mount will be rated to the IP68 standard.